At least a quarter of a million people die every year in the United States as a result of medical malpractice, and some studies estimate that number to be closer to half a million. Medical error is the third most common cause of death, after heart disease and cancer.
At Marder, Nass & Wiener, PLLC, our New York medical malpractice attorneys have helped countless victims of medical errors obtain the compensation they deserve. If you have been injured due to the negligence of a physician or other medical provider, you have rights. Contact us today at (212) 390-9529 for a free and confidential consultation about your case.
What is Medical Malpractice?
Medical malpractice occurs when a patient is harmed or dies because a doctor, nurse, or other medical professional failed to provide reasonable care. Dangerous medical errors frequently involve a misdiagnosis or delayed diagnosis, an incorrect type or dosage of medication prescribed or administered, and/or poor management of the condition for which the patient sought treatment, including failure to provide instructions for recovery after a procedure.
Medical malpractice laws exist to protect patients and help them receive compensation for their suffering. They also hold health care providers and hospitals accountable, helping to maintain high standards of care. An experienced NY medical malpractice lawyer can help you to identify responsible parties and hold them accountable for their negligent actions.
When medical professionals do not act in time, injuries often occur. If delayed treatment, or delayed test results prevented you from obtaining the treatment you needed in a timely manner, you may have suffered injuries as a result. Similarly, if you receive a misdiagnosis which prevents you from getting the treatment you actually needed until it is too late, irreparable damage may have occurred.
Why You Need a New York Medical Malpractice Lawyer
An attorney with extensive experience in malpractice cases understands medical standards and the procedures required to determine whether you have a valid claim, how to identify responsible parties, and how to position you for the best possible outcome.
The attorneys at Marder, Nass & Wiener, PLLC have a long track record of helping victims of medical malpractice obtain the compensation they deserve. We value each of our clients as an individual and give our undivided attention to every case. Medical malpractice is not an area of law that an attorney should dabble in. It is complex and constantly evolving. You want an attorney by your side who has successfully represented countless clients in malpractice cases.
Our knowledgeable, compassionate legal team takes great pride in keeping clients informed through clear, open lines of communication. We understand that you are going through a difficult time. We are here to shoulder this burden for you, and help you get back on your feet in the quickest, most painless manner possible.
Types of Medical Malpractice Lawsuits
Our attorneys are ready to help if you have suffered as a result of medical malpractice. Malpractice lawsuits often involve:
- Birth injuries—from broken bones and temporary paralysis to cerebral palsy, thousands of birth injuries are linked to medical negligence every year;
- Emergency room errors—the most common emergency room errors include suffering as a result of extended waiting times, and diagnosis errors;
- Failure to diagnose—a 2019 study found that half of America’s doctors and nurses suffer from some degree of burnout, often resulting in undiagnosed medical conditions;
- Anesthesia errors—the elderly face the highest risk of complications including death due to anesthesia errors, sometimes tragically during routine procedures that are not otherwise dangerous;
- Fertility clinic negligence—in several recent cases, fertility clinics have been held responsible for implanting incorrect embryos, resulting in women giving birth to children that are not theirs, after having gone through months or even years of intensive treatments to conceive;
- Cancer, heart attack or stroke—a 19-year-old died of a heart attack after his cardiologist determined that he had a cardiac arrhythmia but failed to warn him to avoid exercise;
- Failure to inform of medical risks—one in six emergency room patients ends up in the hospital because of incorrectly prescribed medication;
- Improper screening—failure to properly screen patients can mean that “silent” killers such as heart disease can reach an advanced stage before they are detected;
- Misread test results and x-rays—a hospital was held responsible for a lab test error that resulted in a 17-year-old girl receiving a donor organ from someone with an incompatible blood type, tragically leading to her death;
- Misread mammograms—false positive readings can expose patients to unnecessary surgery and medication, both of which pose their own health risks;
- Failure to refer to a specialist—this could be due to incorrect diagnosis or a primary care provider’s incorrect assessment of the seriousness of your situation.
Medical Malpractice Compensation
Although every situation is unique, the legal team at Marder, Nass & Wiener, PLLC is skilled at accurately calculating the amount of compensation you can expect to receive. We will thoroughly analyze your case, taking into consideration pain and suffering, lost earnings, medical expenses, and other damages. For example, claims for unnecessary loss of a limb, as in the case of someone who had an amputation due to a failure to diagnose diabetes, might include the costs of physical rehabilitation, a modified vehicle to accommodate the permanent disability, and pain and suffering costs.
Contact Marder, Nass & Wiener, PLLC Today
If you have been injured as a result of medical negligence, the skilled legal team at Marder, Nass & Wiener, PLLC can help. We have been protecting the rights of accident and injury victims in New York for decades. Don’t attempt to go through this extremely complex process alone, we can help. Contact us today at (212) 390-9529 for a free and confidential consultation about your case.