In the United States, 2.35 million people are injured or disabled in motor vehicle accidents every year. In New York State, collisions are the second highest cause of injury-related hospitalizations and the third highest cause of injury-related emergency department visits.
If you’ve been hurt in any type of auto accident, the injury team at Marder, Nass & Wiener, PLLC has the experience, knowledge, and dedication you need to help you navigate this complex journey and obtain the compensation you deserve. Contact us today at (212) 390-9529 for help with your motor vehicle injury claim.
New York Motor Vehicle Accident Attorneys
Following a motor vehicle accident, step one is to seek immediate medical help. Step two is to speak to an attorney.
If you have been injured in a car accident, the shock and trauma of the collision can make it difficult to know where to go for effective help. After getting the medical treatment you require, it is important to consult with a qualified attorney who can assist you in getting full compensation for your damages.
The question of liability can be complex; accidents often involve more than one at-fault party. For example, the vehicle that struck you may have been speeding, but an illegally-parked vehicle may have obstructed the speeding vehicle’s view, further contributing to the accident. An experienced car accident attorney who understands liability will help to ensure that all responsible parties are held accountable.
Why You Need a New York Motor Vehicle Accident Lawyer
Even if injuries aren’t immediately apparent, you should seek medical attention and talk to a knowledgeable and experienced attorney. Symptoms don’t always show up immediately, and it may take days or weeks for the impact of injuries caused by a car crash to be fully realized.
Car accidents are complicated. If you try to handle this process alone, you could end up with a lot less money, and a much bigger headache, than you deserve.
The legal team at Marder, Nass & Wiener, PLLC understands that our clients are often facing one of the most stressful events of their lives. We are with you from start to finish and will do our best to ensure your comfort throughout the entire process. Our attorneys know how important it is to keep clients informed at every stage. We communicate with you regularly so that you fully understand where you’re at in the claims process, and can plan your life and finances accordingly.
How We Can Help
Our attorneys have a stellar track record of helping clients obtain the compensation they deserve following a motor vehicle accident. We do this by:
- Holding at-fault parties accountable—Multiple parties may be responsible for the accident and ensuing injuries;
- Calculating the value of your claim—Total value may include medical bills, loss of income, pain and suffering, and wrongful death;
- Preparing and filing your lawsuit—This must be done within the statute of limitations, and failing to do so may result in forfeiture of your claim;
- Communicating and negotiating with adjusters—Insurance adjusters are trained to reduce liability to the insurance company, but having an experienced lawyer protects you from falling victim to their tactics;
- Fighting to get you the compensation you deserve—An experienced NY auto accident lawyer will help to ensure that you receive fair compensation in a timely manner.
Common Types of Motor Vehicle Accident Cases
After four years of progress in reducing traffic deaths in New York City, the trend reversed in 2019, and fatal crashes increased by 30 percent. The legal team at Marder, Nass & Wiener, PLLC has a deep understanding of how our clients are affected by motor vehicle accidents. There are many types of auto accidents, but the most common cases involve:
- Distracted driving—On average in the United States, nine people die and over 1,000 are injured annually as a result of distracted driving.
- Drunk driving—Approximately one in three road accident fatalities in the U.S. is caused by a drunk driver.
- Large trucks—In New York State in 2014, there were 3,760 large truck accidents with non-fatal injuries and 74 accidents that resulted in deaths.
- Motorcycle collisions—Medical costs for motorcycle crashes in the U.S. average $15,000 per person, and this figure can increase to $43,000 or more if helmets are not worn.
- Pedestrian accidents—Between 2014 and the end of November 2019, almost 9,000 pedestrians were injured in crashes in New York City alone.
- Buses—The claims process for accidents involving buses are significantly more complex than those in which only passenger vehicles are involved.
- Limos—A limousine crash that claimed more than 20 lives in New York in 2018 has led to multiple-party liability, and lawsuits that are as yet unresolved.
- Ride-Share accidents—While ride-share apps have made some welcome changes to transportation in NYC, throughout the state, and across the country, they have also raised complicated legal issues when it comes to determining liability.
Compensation for Motor Vehicle Accidents in New York
Most people are unaware of the intricacies involved in calculating accurate compensation following a motor vehicle accident. For example, what if you are still able to work, but your injuries prevent you from performing the full duties of your job? An experienced attorney will calculate how your wage loss, including possible future lost earnings.
Without extensive knowledge of this particular area of the law, and proven techniques for negotiating with insurance adjusters, it is extremely difficult to obtain adequate compensation for the full extent of your injuries. Don’t make the mistake of trying to go it alone.
New York Auto Accident Laws
New York State has a compulsory no-fault insurance program. This means that you should receive certain benefits from the proper insurance company, such as medical treatment and a portion of your lost earnings, unless you were under the influence of drugs or alcohol or engaged in criminal activities, and you do not need to sue the other party for these costs. Our knowledgeable team of attorneys will help determine the proper insurance company and fight to get you the benefits that you are entitled to. Plus, if another party’s negligence contributed to your serious injuries, you may be able to obtain additional compensation by bringing an injury lawsuit against them.
Contact Marder, Nass & Wiener, PLLC Today
If you have been injured on the job, the legal team at Marder, Nass & Wiener, PLLC can help. We have been protecting the rights of accident and injury victims for decades, and we know the legal process for motor vehicle accident lawsuits, inside and out. Contact us today at (212) 390-9529 for a free and confidential consultation about your case.